Wednesday, July 27, 2011

An "OLD" Friend

Well, she's not really old, considering she just turned 30 on Saturday and I'm 31! I've been looking forward to her birthday for quite some time (almost a month). I've blogged about my dear friend Katie before, but just in case you forgot, I'll give you the "down low" on us! Katie and I met our first year teaching 1st grade in Alvin and clicked immediately. Within a few short days, we knew that our husbands needed to meet, so we planned a dinner date for the 4 of us. And guess what, our husbands hit it off too. Her husband Rob was finishing up his last year of med school in Houston and they moved to Waco that summer so that Rob could complete his residency. They now live in their hometown, Llano and we always try to get together in the summer for a weekend to catch up. We traveled to Llano last summer and I've been looking for a good excuse to make the 5 hour drive again and guess what...I did it this past weekend to surprise her!

When the invitation came in the mail, I was thrilled and bummed all at the same time. Thrilled to have made the invite list and bummed because it was on a weekend that Cory was on call and it was the same weekend as our 7th wedding anniversary. But, after doing some talking and a lot of planning, I decided to make the trip. I didn't want to make the long trip by myself, so I talked my mom into coming along with me and the twins. We drove to Austin on Friday morning and stayed with my aunt and uncle and then I drove over to Llano on Saturday afternoon (a very SIMPLE drive that I will for sure be making again after Baby Zoe arrives in November).

I left Austin around 1:30 so that I would have plenty of travel time (just under 2 hours) to make it to my destination before the birthday girl arrived! I made it safe and sound around 3:15 or so and to my surprise the birthday girl was already at her own SURPRISE party! She DOES NOT like surprises, so Rob ended up telling her what all was planned, but she had no clue that I was coming and a few other out of towners! The look on her face and those crocodile tears were PRICELESS! I mean, who on earth would travel 5 hours for a birthday party that started at 4 and then get up the very next morning (after staying up until 2 chatting) to drive home?!?!?

It was a great surprise and I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to be a part of her special day. And I'm so thankful to all of those involved in making this happen...for without them, I wouldn't have been able to make it!

So, Happy 30th Birthday KATIE!!! I hope I surprised you!!!

XOXO

**Can you tell who was saying CHEESE and laughing in the picture...I couldn't help it, I was so HAPPY**





1 comment:

Katie said...

HEE HEE! SO glad you came, and looking forward to the next time!