On January, 9th, baby girl had to have tubes placed in her ears and her adenoids removed. After battling ear/sinus infections and being on 4 antibiotics since the beginning of December, we decided it was time. I was pretty sure she was a candidate for getting tubes, but I really wasn't even thinking about having her adenoids removed. The doctor suggested we do so based on her history of sinus infections. We are hoping and praying these two will help keep baby girl well and ear/sinus infection free for a good while!

Her surgery was scheduled for 7:30 that morning and they asked us to be at the surgery center at 6:30. I literally picked her up out of bed a 6 and put her in her car seat...and no, she wasn't really happy about it. Once we arrived at the center, she stuck like glue to my mom (she went with us to her appointment the previous Thursday and it was HORRIBLE...Burkley was so scared and ended up making herself sick). I was a nervous wreck anticipating how she would react once we were there, but she did much better than we all thought. She wasn't too hip on the nurse or anaesthesiologist, but once they gave her something to relax her, she was good to go! It was a sight to see and she had us all laughing...including herself.

The above picture was taken in the waiting room...prior to them calling us back to the pre-op area. She had a tight squeeze on her baby.

Had to snap a picture of her bracelet!

Playing with all the stickers the nurse gave her...they were pretty neat ones! Overall, I did pretty well (and so did daddy). I had myself all worked up mainly because I didn't know what to expect and I was so worried that she was going to freak out. When it came time for her surgery, we all walked with her to the sterile doorway and after she picked out more stickers and a stuffed animal (Ducky), we all kissed her goodbye and I handed her to the nurse. It wasn't easy handing my little one over to a stranger, but it did make it easier since she wasn't crying. The surgery lasted about 20 minutes (and it was a success...doctor said her adenoids were pretty large, so it was a good thing we decided to go ahead and have them removed) and as soon as she started stirring, they allowed us to go back to be with her. She wasn't happy about the nurse holding her and she really wasn't happy with the IV being in her hand. The nurse was able to get an excellent reading of her vitals within minutes and they allowed us to leave after about 15 minutes. We were told that she may be pretty sleepy and would probably sleep all day, but she only slept 2 hours when we got home. She was back to her normal self within just a few hours and hasn't skipped a beat since! We are so proud of our BIG girl for being a BIG girl on her surgery day! Thanks to everyone who checked in on our sweet baby girl...she had messages from Nana and PaPa all the way from Aruba!!!
Today we had her 2 week post-op and I'm pleased to say that Dr. Castillo said everything looked wonderful! I was a bit concerned because she started haing some sinus/allergy issues on Saturday, but her ears are CLEAR!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment