Monday, February 18, 2008

Overview...Our LONG Journey to Pregnancy

OK...I'm warning you, this is going to be a super long post! I decided to create this blog in order to keep family members and friends updated on the IVF process that Cory and I are currently going through. It's been a year full of emotions, but we know that God has a plan for us and will bless us when the time is right with a miracle (or miracles). The emotional roller coaster rides, stress, and heartache will be well worth it in the end. Here is an overview of our year...are you ready!?!?

February 2007
After being on the fertility drug Clomid for approximately 6 months and no positive pregnancy, my doctor decided it was time to have Cory tested. Cory was tested on February 28th...the results will take about a week to come in!


March 5, 2007
Well, the results are in and the news was not what we were hoping for. As it turns out, Cory's test indicated that there was no sperm present. We were referred to Dr. Lipschultz at Baylor Urology in Houston (according to my doctor, he's one of the best in the nation) and are scheduled for an appointment on April 13th at 8:00 AM.

April 13, 2007
Appointment with Dr. Lipschultz! We were impressed with Dr. Lipschultz from the moment he walked into the room. One, because he talked to Cory and I in terms that we could understand, and two, because he took his time and did not rush when he was visiting with us. After examining Cory, he decided it was one of two things.
1. Cory has a blockage and it can be fixed during surgery...this would mean that we would be able to conceive children naturally.
2. Absence of the vas deferens on one or either side, causing infertility. If this is true, it more than likely means that Cory may only have one kidney. Today, Cory had to have blood work drawn to see if he has a gene mutation for Cystic Fibrosis (absence of the vas is linked to this disease).
We are scheduled for a follow-up appointment on May 2nd and we will find out the results of the blood work. Cory will also have an ultrasound done to see if he has both kidneys.
So...we left the appointment knowing that Cory could possibly have a blockage or absence of the vas deferens, may only have one kidney, and could possibly have the gene mutation for CF (Cystic Fibrosis).

May 2, 2007
Follow up appointment with Dr. Lipschultz! It's been 3 weeks and we are ready for the results from the blood work as well as the results from the ultrasound. We are nervous because we do not want Cory to have the gene mutation for CF and we hope that he has both kidneys.
After waiting, and waiting, we learned that the lab results were still not in (it takes approximately 3 weeks and it was one day shy of 3 weeks) and they didn't even have Cory scheduled for an ultrasound. UGH! They were able to get him in for an ultrasound...and the results are...exactly what Dr. Lipschultz thought. After living a healthy and normal life for 30 years, Cory learned that he indeed only has one kidney (his left one and it's looks healthy). At some point in the fetal development, Cory's right kidney and vas deferens never developed, causing infertility. What really cracked us up, was when Dr. Lipschultz told Cory that he needed to stay away from contact sports...a little late now being that he played football and baseball in high school and loves to snow ski. Dr. Lipschultz believes that Cory may possibly have a blockage on the left side that can be fixed during surgery, or he could possibly be missing the vas on the left side as well. He will not be able to determine this until surgery.
Surgery is scheduled for July 2nd (and we are SO excited). On this day, Dr. Lipschultz will begin with another ultrasound to see if he can extract fluid from the left seminal vesicle, which will hopefully contain sperm. If this is the case, he will know there is a blockage along the way and if he feels it is worthwhile, he will basically perform a reversal vasectomy on Cory and we will be able to conceive children naturally. If there is no sperm present, Dr. Lipschultz will have to go in and extract all of the living sperm from the left testicle (sperm is being produced, it's just unable to get out).
Oh...this trip alone today cost us a total of $6,000.00!!!


June 2, 2007
ONE month to go until surgery and counting!


June 7, 2007
CF lab results are in. Cory does not have the gene mutation for CF. YIPPIE! Hurry up July 2nd!


June 11, 2007
Amy, the nurse at Dr. Lipschultz's office called today and told me that we were going to have to bump back Cory's surgery to July 23rd because Dr. Lipschultz had an emergency. Come to find out, the emergency was a conference! GREAT...this will bump us back another 3 weeks and it is the day before our 3rd anniversary!


June 19, 2007
What was turning out to be a horrible day actually turned out AWESOME. Amy called and informed me there was a cancellation that came up. Cory is now scheduled for surgery on July 5th! EVERYONE is SUPER EXCITED!


June 26, 2007
Today Cory and I went to St. Luke's for his pre-op. Cory is officially ready for his surgery next Thursday!!!


July 5, 2007
We are ALL so nervous. The day that we have been waiting for is finally here. I think we both woke up at 3:30 so that we could shower and finish getting everything together since we were moving to Cory's parents after the surgery (it would have been very difficult for Cory to go up and down the stairs at the apartment). My mom and Cory's mom picked us up at the house at 4:45 and we headed for St. Lukes (as you can imagine...it was an extremely quiet ride).
Around 6:30 or so, they called us back to the office where they went over all of the information and collected the money! Did you know that Cory was born in 1950 something? Well, come to fine out, there was another Cory Scott having surgery on the same day! The best part is that this Cory Scott was a female and she was having breast implants! After finding this out, Cory was VERY NERVOUS! He kept telling me to make sure the nurses knew what he was in there for and I think I asked them a hundred times, because when I followed them to the OR doors, the nurse looked at me and said, "Don't worry sweetie, we know what his procedure is and we will take good care of him." That's when it finally hit me. I just broke down and found my way back to the waiting room (where I met up with my mom, Nana (Cory's mom) and my best friend Tarah). The day that we have been waiting for was finally here, but there was no guarantee that the surgery would be a success.
Around 12:45 or 1:00, Dr. Lipschultz came out and told me that the surgery was a HUGE success. As it turns out, Cory has bilateral absence of the vas deferens and they had to extract the sperm. We have 10 vials of these little guys, which is enough to last us a lifetime (doctor's words)!
Next step...I'm schedule to see Dr. Grunert on July 18th to discuss IVF!

July 18, 2007
First appointment with Dr. Grunert
On this day, we (me, Cory, and my mom) met with Dr. Gruenert and discussed family history, our medical history, and the IVF process. I also had an ultrasound performed to make sure that "everything" was normal and I also had to have lab work done. They took at least 10 vials of blood and tested me for every disease you can think of. The ultrasound was really neat...I can only imagine how neat it will be seeing a little baby growing in there! Oh...I did get to start birth control again and trust me, I was not thrilled about this at all. You are probably wondering why on earth they would put me on birth control if I'm trying to have a baby. Well, they do this in order to suppress my cycle so that they can start or stop it at any given time. So, for the first time in 3 years, I am now back on birth control! YUCK!


August 10, 2007
Prior to this day, I received the results of my lab work and learned that I am a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis (all of my other lab work was normal). One out of twenty-nine Caucasians is a carrier and will never know unless they have genetic testing done (which we had to have done for IVF). When I first found out, I was an emotional wreck. I was terrified and very angry because it was just another bump in the road that we were having to face. We have already faced so many hurdles in the past few months and this was not what I wanted to hear. So...on August 10th, Cory had to have another test done just to make sure that he does not have the genetic mutation for CF (remember he already had the test done and it was negative, meaning, he does not have the gene mutation for CF). Well, they need to do another test that is more in depth. The previous test only tested the first 40 something chromosomes and this particular test they are going to do will test all the way to the 97th chromosome. We also had to schedule an appointment with a Genetic Counselor at Baylor to discuss the various outcomes of our children. After meeting with the Genetic Counselor, our minds were a little more at ease!


3 weeks later...
Dr. Grunert called to inform me that Cory DOES NOT have the genetic mutation for CF. THANK GOODNESS! This means that our children could be born a carrier like myself with no symptoms of CF, or they could have allergies and/or sinus problems...well, I figured that since I suffer from both! We are so happy about this news today!


September 20, 2007
Well, today is the day that I get to begin stimulating my ovaries so that they will produce an abundance of eggs! I had an ultrasound to make sure that everything looked normal, lab work to test my hormone levels, and then I went back to get instructions from my nurse. What instructions...well, instructions on how to give myself a shot. I had to learn how to draw up the medication and where to give the injection! I was a nervous wreck, because I hate needles...but I can do anything to have a BABY!

Here are a few pictures of the two injections and my documentation book that I had to keep.
Cory was out of town, so I stayed at my parents for the weekend. Mom wanted these pictures for documentation purposes... so here it goes. These two injections (Gonal F and Micro Ovidril) were given each night for about 10-12 days in order to stimulate my ovaries so that they would produce multiple eggs.
My record book. I had to go back to the doctor every other day for an ultrasound and for lab work (September 24th, 26th, 28th, 29th, and October 1st) . The purpose of the ultrasound was to see if multiple follicles were being produced and the lab work indicated if my hormone levels were where they needed to be. The nurse would call me each night to let me know if I needed to keep my dosage the same, lower it, or increase it.

WARNING...THE PRO IS GIVING HERSELF A SHOT! Although it took me about 30 minutes the first night to give myself the two shots (I even had to stop and get a piece of gum to help me concentrate), I quickly became a pro at it. I'm no longer scared of needles...I'm a BIG GIRL!!!

It looks more painful then it really is!

See...it wasn't that bad! I'm all done and ready for bed!!!

Prior to egg retrieval, we had to transfer the "other part" that will fertilize my eggs! Here are a few pictures that document this transportation for your enjoyment! It was a day full of laughter for both of us and I'm sure it will bring laughter to you as well!

Cory strapping in the HUGE tank that we used to pick our "boys" up in. They are stored at Baylor Urology (Dr. Lipschultz's office about 7 blocks away or so). Can you believe we had to walk through the building and parking lot with this huge device? Needless to say, I was about 10 steps in front of Cory...everyone was looking at us and I don't know why!

"They" are in the tank. We decided that it would be best if the tank rode in the front between my feet since the seat belt didn't do us any justice. When we pulled up to Baylor Urology, Cory opened the door...and...yes, the tank fell out and there was smoke from the dry ice going everywhere (thank goodness the "boys" were not in there yet). Always something with us!!

Me and the boys. We are now back at Dr. Grunert's office and are dropping the "tank" and the inside belongings off at the andrology lab! YEAH...we get to pay another $550.00 storage fee!


October 3, 2007
Today is egg retrieval day and I'm really excited because we are now one step further with the IVF process. I have to admit that I was nervous because I hate the hospital setting. The procedure was done at the IVF lab, which is set up like a miniature hospital. They called me back to get me dressed in the gown, start my IV, and monitor my vitals. Cory was able to stay with me until surgery time, which made me feel a little more comfortable. The nurse warned him that the medication they were going to give me in the OR would make me have short term memory loss...I think I will be fine! It wasn't easy walking into the little OR room and it really wasn't easy sitting in there on the table waiting for the doctor for 20 minutes. I was just laying there looking at everything and my mind was going 90 to nothing. As soon as Dr. Grunert walked into the room, the nurse pushed the drugs into my IV, and that's all it took. I don't remember ANYTHING. The nurse was right! Evidently I kept asking them over and over how many eggs they were able to get, how my nurse in the OR was from Manvel, and how I was scared that I was going to get a yeast infection from the antibiotics that I was taking. Cory said it was like clock work... every 5 minutes I would repeat myself over and over again. I don't remember waking up, going to the restroom, drinking water, getting dressed, riding the elevator down, getting in the car, or riding home! It was strange and I'm glad I was able to give Cory a good laugh (he was making fun of me all day long...like I knew what was going on). I need to get more of that medication!!!!

The nurse called me that night to let me know that I had 9 strong embryo's growing away (I had 15 eggs and out of those 15, 13 were mature eggs. Out of the 13 mature eggs, 9 of them fertilized and are embryos).

October 8, 2007
Embryo Transfer Day at 12:30
Another day that I have been looking forward to is finally here. Here are a few pictures that Cory and I took in the pre-op room. WARNING...they are not the best pictures of us (being that I was the photographer), but at least I have a few to document this day.

In the pre-op room waiting for Dr. Grunert to get down and transfer those little embryo's in me. On the day of transfer, it is important to have a FULL bladder since they use ultrasound to guide the embryos into place. The nurse told me just to drink a bottle of water on the way and by the time I wait, I should be full. Well, I being the worrier that I am, was nervous that I would not be "full" enough, so I decided to drink 3 bottles on the ride up there. BIG MISTAKE! Needless to say, I was EXTREMELY full and was about to EXPLODE by the time I was prepared for the transfer.


The two of us waiting patiently! Please excuse the "close up" picture. I was the photographer and it was a little difficult getting the two of us in the picture. Check out Dr. McDreamy...it was neat having Cory in there with me during the transfer. He watched everything on the monitor (I really couldn't pay attention to what was going on because I was concentrating so hard...I had to "go" so bad and it was beyond painful. The doctor in formed me that giving birth to a child would be more painful then what I was experiencing...OH REALLY?!?!?


Don't I look beautiful? I'm ready to rock and roll with this procedure...I've waited so long, and the time is finally here!



October 22, 2007
Today we had our 2 weeks post transfer appointment with Dr. Grunert. I had bloodwork done that morning and if my hormone levels are high, that means the embryo transfer was successful and I will be pregnant. After waiting for 3+ hours in the waiting room, Dr. Grunert called Cory and I back to his office and delievered the news that we did not want to hear. The pregnancy test was negative, meaning the transfer was not successful and the embroys did not attach and continue to grow in my uterus. Why this happened, we will never know, but we know that God has a plan for us. I had sort of prepared myself for the worst, but I just knew everything was going to be fine. I attempted to hold myself together, but that didn't last long at all. Dr. Grunert just kept talking and talking and all I wanted to do was get the heck out of that place. It was a long, stressful, and emotional day, but we somehow managed to make it through. Dr. Grunert suggested that I have 2 normal cycles and then after the second cycle, he would like for me to have a test done on the lining of my uterus to see if it is strong enough to allow for implantation and to see if the hormones that I am currently taking are being absorbed (this test is called EFT and I was told that it is basically like having a Pap test...I guess I will just have to wait and see). On one good note, I will no longer have to ice my behind for 5-10 minutes each night to prepare for the oh so great progesterone shot (the needle seems like it is 3 feet long and about 3 inches thick...not really, but it's a HUGE needle. Sorry, I do not have any pictures to share of this, but will take some the next go around). I also will discontinue the other 2 hormones that I was taking, which will cause me to have my first "not so normal cycle" (I was warned that it will be "off" with everything that my body has gone through the past few weeks...you think?). What a SUPER SAD DAY for the both of us.

December 13, 2007
I have now had 2 normal cycles and Dr. Grunert wanted to see me for an ultrasound to make sure everything is still normal, check my hormone levels, and give me instructions to prepare for the EFT test. The EFT test is scheduled for December 26th at 8:00 AM...yes...the day after Christmas.


December 26, 2007
EFT test...remember how I said they told me it would be like a PAP smear? Well, I'll let you know that I've NEVER had a Pap test that felt like that! OUCH...it was very uncomfortable. Thank goodness it only lasted a few minutes. This test has to be mailed to Yale University and since it is the holiday season, it will not be mailed until after the first of the year. The results will take approximately 10-14 days to get.

January 23, 2008
I'm still waiting on the results of the EFT test. I decided to call on my lunch break and the nurse informed me that they "just came in" and that once the doctor looked them over he would call me.


January 25, 2008
I'm still waiting on the results of the EFT test and I'm not happy at all. I called again on my lunch break and talked to another nurse and she told me that the doctor usually reviews all of the test results on the weekend and that he would probably call me next week. When I finally told her that the test was done a month ago (I was shy one day) she pulled my file and within 2 hours she called me back with the results. I guess she could tell in the tone of my voice that I was not happy...oh well! The test results are normal, which is great news!!! We are ready for the next step.


January 30, 2008
Another appointment with Dr. Grunert. Today I had to have another ultrasound, more blood work to check hormone levels, and begin giving myself another injection. This time around is Lupron. The purpose of Lupron is to slow all of the activity in my ovaries down so that I will not ovulate on my own. At first, I will do this twice a day until I begin my cycle and when that happens, I will drop down to one injection a day. Side effects that I'm looking forward to include acne, weight gain, changes in breast size (hopefully for the best...yes...SMALLER!), mood swings, and hot flashes! I'll be "just another moody woman" as my father-in-law always says! WATCH OUT...HERE I COME!


February 13, 2008
Follow up appointment with Dr. Grunert for another ultrasound and blood work. I will continue the Lupron injection once a day and will begin taking Estrace again. I will go back for another follow up on February 28th and if everything looks good, we will be ready for another embryo transfer during the first week in March!

SO...as you can tell, it seems like Cory and I have spent the past year in and out of doctors offices! We never imagined we would ever have to face something so challenging as this, but I can honestly tell you that it has brought our entire family closer together. I have spent my fair share crying and feeling sorry for myself at times instead of being thankful for EVERYTHING that I have, but I assume that's just part of it. I have been blessed with a WONDERFUL husband and family, loving friends, a new BEAUTIFUL home, the gift of being able to enrich the minds of young children, my PRIDE and JOYS Colton, Avery, and my itty bitty neice Kyla who will make her grand entrance around July 12th, and of course my Godson Luke! There's noting more rewarding then being an aunt/Godmother to these precious darlings! Thanks to all of you who have allowed me to vent, cry, or just talk to you when times have been tough...you are truly AWESOME! Also, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the past year. Our roller coaster ride is not over yet, so I ask that you please continue to keep Cory and I in your thoughts and prayers as well as our families as we prepare for the second embryo transfer in the coming weeks! Take care...we love you guys!!!

Cory, Hayley, and Holly

No comments: