Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mom's First Meltdown and 2 Big Milestone's for Burkley

You are probably laughing to yourself about the first part of the title of this post and wondering what the 2 milestones are that took place this evening and will take place tomorrow.

Here's a condensed version of my first breakdown from yesterday. Cory and I went to visit Burkley yesterday morning after my follow up appointment with Dr. Mike. From the moment we walked in and met her nurse, I could tell she was a little different. We made it in time for her 11:00 feed and that's when I began to have smoke coming out of my ears. The nurse handed me a bottle of formula to give Burkley. I looked at her and told her that Burkley was not to have formula...only breast milk. She then looked at me like I was crazy and told me that she would have to look at her chart and then check to see if there is any milk in the fridge or freezer for her. Okay...it's not like I'm slacking in the production of milk. We bring at least 10-12 4oz bottles daily for Burkley and she only takes around 36-38mL. Baby girl has plenty of milk...in fact, Cory said that when she comes home, we are going to have to bring the ice chest on wheels to transport all of her milk home! Long story short, Burkley ended up getting mommy's milk and her mommy ended up calling and speaking to the charge nurse. The charge nurse thanked me for calling and bringing it to their attention and said that she would talk with the nurse about being more careful...not with just my baby, but with all babies. Below is a sign that now hangs over Burkley's crib!!!


And now for my meltdown for today. Today Brooks was to have his first doctor's appointment just for a follow up visit. We decided to take him here in Alvin because it's close to home. I actually went to meet the doctor several weeks ago and really enjoyed talking to her and liking her. I paid no attention to the facility itself because I just wanted to meet the doctor. Well, today when I walked in to the office, I felt like I was sitting down in the ER at UTMB. There were kids coughing, sneezing, and puking all around and there really wasn't a designated area for "well" children. They had a small cut out section that had about 6 chairs for "well" children, but you had to walk through all of the sick kids to get to that section. After filling out the papers, I sat there for a minute and then looked at Cory's mom and told her that I just couldn't do it. So, I called Cory and he told me just to leave and we would find another doctor. When I got in the car, I just broke down because I couldn't believe that I exposed my son to all of those nasty germs...thankfully I had him all covered up, but still. I wanted to come home and shower in Clorox...seriously...it was that bad. Brooks will be going to his first real doctor's appointment tomorrow at 9:40. The twins will now be going to Dr. Judice who was one of my pedi's growing up. It will be neat seeing her. I wonder if she will remember me (she should being that I pulled her hair when she gave me a booster shot). Hopefully tomorrow's experience will be better than today's.

Here he is ready to go this morning!
Here's the exciting news! Burkley is now 2 steps closer to coming home. YEAH! I ventured out to Wal Mart this evening while Cory babysat Brooks and while I was walking up and down every single isle, Cory called. He told me to call him on my way home, but I insisted that he tell me what was going on because I could tell something was wrong by the tone of his voice. He told me that the hospital called and then paused for what seemed like 30 seconds. I immediately began to freak and asked if I needed to leave the basket and head on home. That's when he told me the GREAT news through his tears! Burkley's nurse called to let us know that the orders were given for Burkley to be moved into an open crib! She also wanted to let us know that she will be having her hearing test done and she told us to be sure and bring her car seat with us tomorrow because she will have to have her car seat challenge (all babies born before 37 weeks have to have this test done. They sit in their seat for an hour and their vital signs are taken every 15 minutes). So, if baby girl is able to maintain her body temperature and not get chilly in her open crib and passes her car seat challenge, then it looks like she will be coming home. They haven't told us a specific day, but when they tell you to bring in the car seat, you know it's getting pretty close. So...maybe by the end of the week or the first part of next week we will have our little princess at home with us. We are super excited about the news today (it's just what I needed after the trauma I had this morning)! Please keep Burkley in your prayers...pray that she is able to maintain her body temperature and pray that she cooperates in her car seat!!! Here are a few pictures we took when we visited Burkley today!
Mommy and Burkley

Daddy and Burkley
OH...I'm STILL working on posting pictures from the hospital. Will keep you posted on Burkley's progress!!!!!

1 comment:

Coffey Twins said...

I just now saw that "my tiny tummy needs only mom's breastmilk" sign and I love it! I wish I had that weeks ago. However, I can't keep up anymore but the formula is totally helping with the weight gain! =)